Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Wait Is Over- The Floacist Is Back!



Natalie “The Floacist” Stewart has moved beyond her Seven- Time Grammy Nominated Neo Soul duo, Floetry and is set to release her brand new album The Floacist Presents: Floetic Soul, in stores November 9th. The U.K. born poet sat down with me last week while she was in Baltimore on her promo tour. She talked about the new album, going solo, poetry and reuniting with the other half of Floetry, Marsha Ambrosius. Shout out to Gyspy Soul for setting up the interview!

Chanel Laren: How has being in Floetry shaped you as a solo artist?

Floacist: Floetry was a manifestation of my dreams which were to take poetry and make it accessible to a broader audience- a musical audience. It’s poetic delivery and musical intent that’s the mantra I created. At 19, we started a spoken word collective which was 3 Plus 1. In fact my business partner, now husband was in the group. We were young and had a whole bunch to say, wanted to say it and did. Floetry came from that movement. I ended up inviting my friend (Marsha) out to sing some hooks. I needed hooks cuz you can’t be hitting people with 20 minute pieces so I had to break it up. That study has molded me into a solo artist. More so being a poet got me to the Floetry part. I suppose now I’m doing the same as before just...it’s just me.

CL: Your first single is called Forever which features Musiq Soulchild. Did you release that song intentionally because there was a singer on there to kind of help the Floetry fans transition from the group to now your solo project or was it just a hot song?

Floacist: It was a hot song. I’m singing on Forever as well. I sang some of the Floetry stuff too. Obviously for the audience it's different. Me and Marsha was like a ménage à trois,  like on  Getting Late. You got these two chicks just going hard. It was really nice to do. I don’t really try to plan or figure out what I’ve got to do for the audience to be able to...I just create. That’s my offer to the audience, more so not playing a head game. I just loved the song. I loved it before I put Musiq on there and I loved it after. And I love- love.

CL: What was the formula for recording this album?

Floacist: I’m doing whatever needs to be done. It means the Floacist-my flow exists. So wherever I need to go to deliver that’s where I’ll go. Whatever it takes to tell the story, the vibe and the feeling. There is singing on there and a straight kind of speak, spoken voice. There is a more rhythmic percussive voice, and rhyme approach.Whatever needs to be...is.

CL: Would you change anything about your 10 year musical journey?

Floacist: No, no not a thing. Not even things that I think I might change-naw. I’ve had a (she reflects with a smile on her face)...my life is pretty awesome and it’s flow. Would I change anything? No, cuz to change anything means that we aren’t sitting in this room right now and even if we are... it wouldn’t be this room. Change the future, aint no sense in trying to change the past.

CL: You’re a screenwriter...are you reading any scripts? Will we be seeing you in any movies or plays?

Floacist: Absolutely, yes yes and yes. If you don’t see me for awhile that means I’m writing. You know a writer doesn’t always have to be sitting out on a stage to write. I have books and I have plays. There is much to come but right now I am focusing on my baby and that is my new cd. But I will tell you I have an affirmation book that I am working on right now and poetry books. Writing is really at the base of my feet.

CL: Are you planning on every doing anything in the future with Marsha?

Floacist: I love the fact that people think that I can see into the future. We make different music right now and I think everybody is aware of that. The doors of Floetry will always be open to my sista, but we have to be making the same music. I’m committed to a certain line and energy and I have no desire or interest to come outside of that space. I’ll rub my crystal ball and get back to you though. We’ll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment