Monday, April 11, 2011

Concert Review: BET Music Matters Tour


Last Thursday I went to the BET Music Matters tour at Rams Head to see  newcomer CJ Hilton, Anthony David, Melanie Fiona and the headliner Marsha Ambrosius. While I've seen all of them perform live individually, it was nice to have them all on one show. It's nothing like live instrumentation and that's definitely what they brought to the stage. What do they all have in common you ask? They all have soulful voices, meaningful lyrics and are on there way to becoming world's biggest stars.

Baltimore's own and J Records new artist CJ Hilton warmed up the crowd before the other acts blessed the stage. Most people didn't even know who he was which is why this tour is a blessing and honor for him to be apart of. I don't know if yall remember, but he performed on last year's BET Awards during their Music Matters segment. His first single, Get It In is one of my new favorite songs on urban radio. The Bmore cutie hopped on the drums and even played the keyboard, proving that he is more than just a singer. Anytime an artist out of Baltimore and makes it big, I'm happy for them. Keep your ears and eyes open for CJ Hilton. Mr Hilton has pipes and he even hits all the high notes.

Next up was president Barack Obama's favorite soul singer Anthony David. I've seen him probably about 2 times live and even interviewed him. And while I thoroughly enjoy his raspy voice, Baltimore on the other hand is a tough crowd to please. If you don't know, then just come to a concert in Baltimore and witness it for yourself. Either we like you or we don't. There is no in between.

He opened his set with Words but it wasn't until he sang Body Language off of his new album As Above, So Below did the crowd go HAM. I'm guessing it's something about that drum and guitar boom kat that got the crowd rowdy and even when he sang his most recent hit 4evermore, that is played hourly on the radio...that wasn't enough. Anthony did get a little crowd participation when he sang Girlfriend. Oh welp, anytime you open for someone else that is the risk you take. Hopefully, when he returns in a couple of weeks, he'll get the love I know he deserves because the brother is talented.

Then there is Ms. Melanie Fiona who is one of the most humble sweetest artists that I have met since I've worked on the radio and since I've been blogging. O yea I interviewed her (shameless plug) while writing for another blog right before her debut album The Bridge hit stores. Melanie and her background singers came ready to party. The background singers where the most energetic duo that I have ever witnessed. Gotta love enthusiastic singers! Melanie had on a J. Lo floppy hat, shredded up tank top, leather crop jacket, and what looked to be leather leggings and some fierce black pumps.

She sang Aye Yo, Bang Bang, It Kills Me and new songs Rock Paper, Scissors and Change The Record to name a few. Although I've heard Change the Record once or twice before, it wasn't until hearing it live did I grow to love this “girl anthem”. Her stage presence has gotten a lot better since I've seen her on tour with Alicia Keys just a year ago. It seems like she is more comfortable and now she owns the stage. While I always enjoy seeing Melanie, the highlight of her entire set was at the very end when she sang her rendition of Ironic by Alanis Morissette. That was totally unexpected. Make sure y’all support her and be on the look out for the new album The MF Life dropping later this year. Interpret the title at your own risk.

OK... so BET saved the BEST for last. Marsha Ambroisus definitely took me on the most sensual ride that I have ever been on outside of the bedroom. It was like foreplay, sex and the climax without having any type of physical contact with another person or even yourself. (No pun intended) I enjoyed every single moment of it! NO HOMO! How many times do you go to a concert and hear the same beautiful un-flawed voice in person? I'm going to say, its not that often and I am a concert feign. There were a couple of times where I just wanted to either throw my shoe at her and bum rush the stage with sheer gratitude and excitement, for I couldn't control how happy my ears and soul were for Marsha's gift. The lady has stage presence that just captivates her audience leaving us in a trance until the very last song  and even to the predictable encore.

She even ranted and raved about how men ain’t shit and women ain’t either...saying we both need to step our games up. Marsha is so honest and unapologetic about it. I'm sure that's partly the reason why her fans GO HARD for her besides her undeniable talent. She must of read my playlist for her set before she hit the stage because I promise you she sang With You, Late Nights & Early Mornings, Loose Myself and Your Hands, which all happen to be my favorite tracks on the album. Boy was I ecstatic! She practically performed the whole album. Oh and shout out to her band...they killed IT, especially my man on the keys. He was giving us the best that he got (Anita Baker voice).

Too many funny moments to recap during Marsha's set. Once Dj Aktive and the audience cheered for to come back for an encore she sang....(waiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit for it).....Soul Glo and the Golden Girls Theme song. At this point, people were leaving and I inched up a bit to get a better view. I was too through, almost choked I laughed so hard. See ladies and gents these are the rare moments you missed since you were too cheap to buy your ticket or you just waited until the last minute knowing DAMN well the tickets were going to sell out. For those of you that haven't purchased Late Nights & Early Mornings yet, you should be ashamed especially if you consider yourself a music lover, so do all of us a favor and download it on iTunes immediately or run to the nearest record store after you read this awesome review.

Here are a few signs that an artist gave a stellar performance. A good way to judge whether or not a concert is good, brilliant, great, the BESTEST is to think about what songs they didn't sing on your way home. If you can't pinpoint what you didn't hear and still had a great time and you're not mad that they didn't sing your JAM, then you know that was a good show. On the ride home, as I was in the car with my home girl...we knew she didn't sing songs off the Yours Sincerely  (oh yea she did sing Take Care) or Neo Soul is Dead mixtape and some other unreleased songs but again, WE DIDN'T CARE.

For all my readers and followers in other states, this BET Music Matters tour is a must see concert. You will not be disappointed, for every artist on the bill can truly sing. There will be NO auto tune, ashy voice cracking, hoarse, overly saturated sound effects or chopped and screwed songs where you are unable to identify your favorite song. You won't walk away destroyed like I did last summer after seeing Lauryn Hill butcher her own songs. Yea I'm firing shots at L. Boogie. I digress, anyway go get your ticket RIGHT NOW. Thanks and good night! Check out some of the concert footage.







3 comments:

  1. Good Review!! Anthony David had to hit the crowd with the ole Dave Chapelle John mayor(barbarshop skit)Black people love drum kicks.lol. I see that you where quite detailed in your discription of Ms.Fioana's outfit....anyways. Marsha did the golden girls theme song (lol) she bugged out. Your right she should add stand up comedy to her set. in closing I love that I can hear your "voice" all throughout the review. Hopefully next time i won't miss out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!AHAH don't start on Melanie...I'd buy a ticket if Marsh goes on a comedy tour..her accent alone and facial expressions are enough for me...yes she's going on tour with Jilly from Philly so I'm going to need you to be on the look out for that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent write up! And you got some good video footage. I like Mel's song Rock, Paper, Scissors! Marsha is flawless as always.

    I need Bmore to not disrespect Anthony David. We got appreciate these real musicians

    ReplyDelete