Friday, June 17, 2011

Coors Lights presents NERD at Sonar

L.A. based rap group Pac Div opened up for NERD. Now I downloaded Pac Div's mixtape Mania! when it first came out and only listened to it once or twice. Silly me those guys are awesome. They had slick lyrics and stage presence to be new on the scene. Brothers Mibbs and Like and their longtime friend BeYoung got the crowd nice and ready for their mentors. Their set was better to me than NERD. I'm sure some of you are shock by the last comment but it's true.


The energy was through the roof. Granted I’d seen Pharell, Chad Hugo and Shay open for Erykah Badu two summers ago. This time around they were at a much smaller venue and the headliners of the night. I enjoyed their performance way better at Pier 6 . Maybe it was the ambience of the venue. Let me set the scene for you…grown and sexy (that phrase should be buried btw but follow me anyway) on the harbor, breeze flowing, different age groups, big flashing lights and background dancers. The crowd at Sonar was your Jordan wearing, tight jean rocking, going broke to buy a BBE t-shirt, Cassie look a like wearing fans. Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing wrong with that but I’m an old soul so I guess the older crowd and background dancers, and flashing lights did something for me two years ago.



 At one point, Pharell encouraged the crowd to “bump into your neighbor”…As he’s talking I’m thinking “Baltimore doesn’t need an excuse to be violent…lawd no” then before you know it everybody is knocking into each other, jumping up and down…it was a seen out of movie. I had to remove myself from the middle of the “chaos” and didn't know if i should prepare myself for an expected mosh  pit. Highlight-I love the bassline in “all girls standing in the life the bathroom” …that’s when I started acting like a monkey fool right along with the NERD fanatics. That song just sends me OVER the top. They performed a lot of songs from In Search of Sound album..which is not particularly my favorite album from the guys…so I just bopped my head since I didn’t know the lyrics. 



No comments:

Post a Comment