Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Concert Recap: Yelle @ Irving Plaza


Over the weekend, I traveled to New York City to see french electro dance pop band Yelle (Yelle, GrandMarnier,Tepr) perform at Irving Plaza. That concert was exactly what I needed after a very long and stressful week. I've only had the pleasure of seeing a handful of concerts in the Big Apple. (You're shocked I know) J*Davey at SOBs in 2008, Prince at Madison Square Garden last December and Yelle at Irving Plaza. Well those are the most notable shows anyway. I have yet to be disappointed. All three have high energy shows.

As most of you know, Coachella was last month in California. I was supposed to be camping out and grooving to all the indie and major bands. But, things never go the way as planned. Long story short I was sitting on the couch b@tching and sulking because I didn't go, when I came across a youtube ad for Coachella livestream. My face lit up like a kid in a candy store. I missed all the big acts like Erykah Badu, Kanye, Wiz Khalifa, Ryan Leslie, and newly popular rap group Odd Future. Thought I'd broaden my horizons and check out some indie bands.

I clicked back in forth between 4 channels that were showing the different stages at the music festival. Then I stumbled upon Yelle. Boy I didn't know what I was getting myself into. All I know was 5 minutes into their set, I was dancing in the middle of the living room while they performed on my computer. I had my own little jam session forgetting that I wasn't outside in the smoldering heat but in the confines of my house enjoying  a live show. 

Of course I have to recap the line, up until the band exits stage right. We walked passed the venue about an hour before the show and the line was ALL the way down the street. Moments like those make me happy for up and coming bands. Crazy to me that new bands can bring out huge numbers and sell out a venue but artists that have been in the game 10 plus years can't get fill 100 seats. Damn shame really!

New York crowds are always buck and lively which is quite refreshing compared to a Baltimore show where the audience just stands there with their arms folded as if they didn't pay money to see the show. Never heard of the opening act French Horn Rebellion (Robert and David Perlick-Molinari) but they ROCKED the house. ahahh no seriously they really did! At one point in the show, one of the members jumped up on the speaker to then jump up the balcony to party with their fans.

See I've studied Spanish since middle school and I know a few choice phrases in French...the most popular being Merci beaucoup. All of the songs were in French and to my surprise this American crowd knew the songs word for word. Meanwhile I'm jumping around, stuck in an electro pop trance, dancing off beat for most of the show. Don't judge me! I always have rhythm but for some odd reason I got punked into dancing like the rest of my neighbors. The music just takes over you and you're no longer in control of your body. I had a couple of "what the hell" moments but I kept dancing like a fool. It felt good and I liked it

Lead singer Yelle was getting it! She was dancing her butt off, which made me dance harder. It's nothing like seeing the artist having fun up on stage. GrandMarnier who is the drummer was really taking me back to the motherland for a second. It was like listening to a marching band at points and then he'd take us on this safari ride with African beats. You would have to be there to know what I'm talking about.

The crowd was roaring, people were jumping up and down, fist pumping, bumping into each other, and sweating. It looked like a scene straight out of a movie. It was as if the director instructed all of the dancers and extras to dance their  hardest like they're on American Bandstand and perhaps win a million dollars. I had never seen anything like it in my LIFE. This is what live shows are all about. There was no hatred, drama or violence just sheer love and appreciation of good music.



Set List

S'éteint Le Soleil
Qui Est Cette Fille (Robyn cover)
Unillusion
Ce Jeu
La Musique
J'ai Bu
Comme Un Enfant
Je Veux Te Voir
C'est Pas Une Vie
Que Veux Tu
Safari Disco Club


Encore:
Cooler Couleur
A Cause Des Garçons / A Cause Des Garçons (Tepr Remix)

No comments:

Post a Comment